sábado, março 11, 2006

Meias: Coisas que aprendi/Socks: Things I learned

1) Confiar mais em mim do que no modelo/padrão. Sou capaz de o alterar para ter em conta a minha tensão diferente, o tamanho dos meus pés, a minha maneira de tricotar. / Trust myself more than the pattern. I am able to change it to accomodate my different gauge, my feet dimensions, my own knitting way.

2) As meias alargam com o uso. As meias vermelhas são lindas, mas têm tendência a cair-me pelas pernas e podiam estar mais justas. Fazer as meias com "negative ease": desde que consigam passar o calcanhar, tudo bem. / Socks stretch with wear. My red socks are beautiful, but they have a tendency to fall down my legs and could be tighter. Knit socks with "negative ease": as long as they pass the heel, everything is fine.

3) Devo ser única na espécie, mas: fazer meias "toe-up" NÃO garante que não se venha a ter falta de linha. Eu tinha 2 novelos e fiz as meias toe-up, um novelo para cada meia. Terminei a primeira meia antes do fim do primeiro novelo, e fiquei com um restinho de linha de sobra. Na segunda meia, o novelo acabou a 5 voltas do fim. Juntei-lhe a linha que sobrou do outro, e mesmo assim a segunda meia teve de ficar mais curta que a primeira (mas não se nota). / I must be the only person in the world that, when knitting socks toe-up, using one ball of yarn to each sock, finds she doesn't have enough yarn! I finished my first sock before the end of the first ball, and had some leftover yarn. In the second sock, the ball of yarn finished 5 rows before the end of the sock. I had to join the leftover yarn from the other sock, and still the socks have a different leg length (I don't mind).

4) Tenho de experimentar mais modelos de calcanhar e de "toe", para escolher de quais gosto mais. E tenho de arranjar DPNs de 2.5mm, urgentemente (gosto das meias com um tecido firme, mas 2mm é fino demais: demora muito tempo e faz dores no pulso!). / I must try several ways to knit the heel and the toe to choose which ones I like best. And I must find 2.5mm DPNs urgently (I like firm socks, but 2mm is too thin, takes a lot of time and makes my wrists hurt!).

5) Tanto gosto de meias "toe-up" como "cuff-down". Gosto de coisas diferentes em cada método. E assim posso variar. / I like both toe-up and cuff-down socks. I like different things in each method. And this way I can vary a bit.

5)Tenho de fazer estimativas conservadoras quanto ao tamanho da meia: se sobrar linha, não faz mal, um dia faço umas meias às riscas! Tenho também de arranjar uma balança electrónica de cozinha. / I must make more conservative estimates on the sock size: if there is leftover yarn, no problem, I can knit a striped pair later on! I must get an electronic kitchen scale, also.

6)Adoro fazer meias! / I love knitting socks!

4 comentários:

Lynda disse...

Hi! I've got you added to Count Your Socks - thanks for joining us!

Laura disse...

Hi there! I have recently learned these lessons about socks, too -- especially the one about negative ease. Luckily, I don't mind slightly loose socks!

Are you having trouble finding 2.5mm DPNs? Do you like bamboo or metal? I think I would have no trouble finding some and could send them to you if you can't find them.

Ramona disse...

I agree a little tight is much better then a little loose. I am trying to get up my courage to try toe up.

filomena disse...

A balança electrónica de cozinha é uma ferramenta muito útil para calcular a metragem de novelos e meadas.

Recomendo uma com precisão "à grama". Muitas apresentam valores de 5 em 5g, o que na cozinha pode não fazer muita diferença mas no fio faz.

jinhos

 

Creative Commons License
This work by Knit_tgz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License